Sunday, March 4, 2012

Vanilla Cake Doughnuts

I found this recipe here and thought it would be worth a try. After Dukanizing it I will admit that they are pretty good. Not the same as a real doughnut, but a tasty snack.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup oat bran flour 
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup sweetener of your choice
  • 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
  • 2 eggs 
  • 2 tablespoons fruit puree (I used pears)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For a different flavor, try adding a dash of nutmeg, allspice, cloves and cinnamon
Procedure:
  •  Preheat oven to 325F
  • Combine all of the wet ingredients plus the sweetener, mix, and set aside. Combine the flour, soda, and powder. 
  • Carefully add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stir until well mixed but not too long. 
  • Fill a doughnut pan, or doughnut maker to level determined appropriate by the manufacturer, usually about 2/3 full. 
    • The batter I ended up with is more liquid than that shown on the original recipe, and it worked out great. Feel free to alter the thickness of your batter to meet your needs, but it can change the density of the end product.
  • For the pan, which is what I used, bake for 12-14 minutes. If you have a doughnut maker you will have to experiment a bit to find what works for you.
 I topped some with cinnamon Truvia (think cinnamon sugar), others I put a bit of my chai cream cheese and some cinnamon Truvia. Both were good, but I prefer the cream cheese topping.

This makes approximately 8 doughnuts when using a pan.

4 comments:

  1. I actually made these and they turned out! Most of the dukan stuff I've made hasn't.. My little brother and dad liked them and that's saying something! You're doing a great job with these posts and are helping me out a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be really cool, if you mentioned what stage the recipie works at. These donuts are 3rd stage, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. The phases that they work under are listed in the labels section of the post, which is found at the bottom. It is not as clear and visible as I originally thought. You can also sort the recipes by the phases by clicking on the categories listed on the top right of the page. I hope this helps.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for adding this wonderful recipe. Just made these donuts in my donut maker and they turned out great. I also made the chai cream cheese to go with them. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete