Friday, February 3, 2012

Gyros and Tzatziki Sauce

I have been a fan of gyros for a while now, and was very excited to come across a seasoning that was salt free. This is a great way to use left over meats from previous meals, and tastes great hot or cold. I will work on getting a picture for this as soon as I can.


Tzatziki
1 TBSP Cream Cheese - Fat Free or Neufchatel
1/3 cup Greek Yogurt
1 clove of garlic, or 1/2 tsp dried garlic
1/2 tsp dried onion (if desired)
1 TBSP dill

Gyros
Meat - Chicken, Turkey or Beef (shredded works best)
  • If you can manage, the crock pot is a great way to get this started. I will usually cook a roast for one meal, an follow it up with these a few days later. Do what works best for you.
Seasoning - to taste

Procedure:
I have served this a few ways; one was using the gallete as the bread, another was layering the meat on top of a layer of thinly sliced cucumbers, or layered over a large plate of salad greens. All were good, but I think I prefer the cucumbers the best.

*I have left cucumbers out of the tzatziki sauce so it can be used on non protein/veggie days.
**You can add some milk to the tzatziki to create more of a ranch style dressing as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment