Sunday, February 12, 2012

Yogurt Cake

I have recently been reading Bringing up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman. In this book she mentions, and provides a recipe for, a recipe that a number of French families teach to their children to get them started in baking. I was intrigued by the recipe, but also to see if I could Dukanize it and come up with something decent. Here is what I tried, and I think it turned out great. My suggestions for next time are in parenthesis, use whichever you want. The neat thing about this cake is that you use the yogurt container to measure the other ingredients which makes it very child friendly.



Ingredients:
  • 2 6oz yogurts - plain Greek yogurt is what I used, but flavored could be good as well
  • 4 eggs (3 whole eggs and 3 egg whites may help it turn out fluffier)
  • 1 container Stevia, other sweeteners may require more or less (add 2 containers for a sweeter cake)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 TBSP vegetable oil - don't freak out, the original recipe called for a container of it
  • 4 containers flour - we blended up oat bran to make oat flour and used that, which may explain the extra density of the cake
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup skim milk (1 1/2 cups milk next time)
Procedure:

  1. Preheat oven to 375F
  2. Mix all wet ingredients
  3. Mix all dry ingredients
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stir until well incorporated
  5. Grease pan with a light coat of PAM
  6. Move cake batter into the pan and spread evenly throughout
  7. Bake for 35 minutes, check with a toothpick to ensure it is done.


Frosting:
I kept it really simple and altered the recipe for my Lemon Cream Cheese. I doubled the recipe, used orange extract instead, and added 2 TBSP of milk to make it creamy and easy to spread.




1 comment:

  1. This was a good treat. It filled me up and was very satisfying. I think I'll try some vereations with strawberry cream cz. or freash fruit. I had some with rasberry yogurt over it, and some with chocolate "fluff" and fresh strawberrys. Very GOOD! You could make it thinner and use it for the crust for a fruit pizza. I will be making this soon. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete